'Machine ID' underspecified?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Sun Dec 6 19:10:52 UTC 2020

On Sun, 06 Dec 2020 18:07:11 +0000, Filipe Laíns wrote:

> The problem isn't the ID given by the broker, but by the ID given by
> the processes exposing interfaces. These processes can be running on
> a different machine than the broker, so they can't ask the broker for
> the machine ID ...

Seems like D-Bus is trying to hide the difference between IPC within a
single machine versus that across different machines. Dare I say this
seems a bit ... misguided? Maybe this was part of the original concept
for D-Bus, but as far as I know all the current use cases are
restricted to IPC within a single machine.