Control on DBus-daemon virtual memory usage ballooning

David Rheinsberg david.rheinsberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:02:23 UTC 2020

Hi

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 at 01:21, Hailun Tan <dearambermini at gmail.com> wrote:
> After digging some past bug reports on D-Bus, I found the following one:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/issues/105
>
> It mentioned that D-Bus never freed its data.
>
> D-Bus authors, please advise whether the above statement  is true. If it is not, please advise how to free D-Bus daemon data holdup?

The dbus-daemon process uses memory-management like any other common
Linux process. The memory-allocator is taken from glibc. This
allocator reserves a pool of data which it hands back to the kernel
only when fragmentation and usage permit it. Tracking "VM usage" of a
process is *not* a suitable way to track live memory. Virtual memory
usage does not correspond to allocated pages. Depending on what you
are trying to measure, you need to look into other metrics.

What are you trying to achieve?

Thanks
David