Control on DBus-daemon virtual memory usage ballooning

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Sep 12 18:05:02 UTC 2020

On Friday, 11 September 2020 07:15:10 PDT David Rheinsberg wrote:
> > I think the internal memory pools, managed by DBusMemPool, may be involved
> > here.
> I agree, DBusMemPool may behave non-optimally. Though, to analyse a
> situation I would need a description of the symptoms. The initial
> report talks about "growing VM usage", which is quite unspecific.
> Without any actual data, I don't see the point in speculating what
> could go wrong.

Please show that the RSS of the process is growing, not VSZ. VSZ is not a good
indicator of anything. Up until a few years ago, before library alignment
changed, applications had huge inaccessible virtual memory areas, for example.

Looking at the daemons here, I see the system one has a heap of 4068 kB and
the session one is at 1928 kB (heap, not RSS). That's decidedly on the small
side for modern applications. And consider that the session daemon handles far
more messages (by an orders of magnitude) than the system one, and yet has a
smaller footprint. That tells me the memory consumption isn't connected to the
message traffic, but something else. I guess it's the number of configuration
files that set up allowed traffic rules.