dbus permissions problem

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Tue Feb 16 20:55:08 UTC 2021

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:38:32 +0000, Greg Wilson-Lindberg wrote:

> I'm trying to run a program written in Qt and running on a custom
> Yocto Linux system on a Raspberry Pi4. My application is trying to
> change the timezone, and the Qt application uses a call to dbus to do
> this.

On a Linux/POSIX system, the “system timezone” doesn’t really mean very
much. Every user, every process can operate in its own time zone.
You’ll notice one difference between the systemd journal and the older
text-based syslog is that, in the former, all timestamps are recorded
in UTC, not “local” time.