15y of D-Bus 1.0 and a new home page

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sun Oct 17 16:25:43 UTC 2021

This certainly looks more modern than the wiki page. :-)

In the getting started page, I'd suggest using an example method that does something not related to D-Bus itself (i.e. not a message-bus method). This is an extra complication for someone unfamiliar with D-Bus: they need to understand that the example is dealing with D-Bus on two different levels, and where the boundary between them is. Desktop notifications are my usual example, although admittedly you need a lot of arguments to create one.

I'd also suggest renaming the 'interfaces' page to something like 'use cases'. Most of these specs define well known names & object paths, not only a D-Bus interface. 'Interfaces' as a top-level navigation option is also a bit confusing, because it could mean interfaces to use dbus (GUIs, CLIs...).

I think D-Bus could really do with a good 'what is this?' introduction, although I know it's really hard to keep it concise - all the 'introduction to D-Bus' type pages I've seen look a bit wall-of-text-ish. I've been meaning to have a go at writing my own introduction.

Best wishes,
Thomas