No way to advertise an interface?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Wed Sep 29 08:43:25 UTC 2021

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 09:30:04 +0100, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> If the concern is just about namespacing, specifications like MPRIS
> could say that you should use a second reverse domain name inside the
> namespace they're opening up, so you would get names like
> org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.org.videolan.vlc . I think that works, though
> it's kind of ugly.

Or you could give up on looking for a specific bus name, instead scan
all bus peers to find out which ones implement a specific interface.

Perhaps we need a pair of signals, “interface request” and “interface
reply”. One peer can ask “does anybody implement interface X?” then
listen for “I implement interface X” responses.