RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:59:54 UTC 2022

Hi Thiago

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 6:08 PM Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 3 August 2022 03:54:21 PDT Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > 1) Would it be a better design to add a 3rd UINT32 to the message header,
> > to indicate the size of the handle array?
>
> No. But you can add to the a(yv) at the end, which is extensible. In fact,
> there is an entry for that and it includes the number of file descriptors.
> So
> why isn't this enough?

I could put more information in the header. The 'handle array' could be an
extra field too.

Some concerns:
1) if 'handle array' size is as an extra field, then the fields must be
retrieved and parsed to compute the whole message size.
2) if the 'handle array' is itself embedded in the header fields, the
header content will need to be updated for each receiver when broadcasting.

The second option might not be so bad after all, but my original design
kept the original message (header+body) untouched.

thanks

--
Marc-André Lureau