RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Fri Aug 5 07:49:21 UTC 2022

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 11:35:54 +0400, Marc-André Lureau wrote:

> With the addition of AF_UNIX socket support, Windows developers have
> shown interest in adding more features over time (
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/af_unix-comes-to-windows/#unsupportedunavailable),
> including SCM_RIGHTS/fdpass.

Fun fact: Windows NT (supposedly) had a POSIX-compatible layer in its
early days. But that seems to have bitrotted away over time.

Given that the Windows kernel has become so complex that every time
Microsoft adds a new feature or even just a new bugfix, the odds are
good that it adds new bugs as well, I wonder when they will realize that
WSL2 offers them an easier way out -- get rid of the Windows kernel
altogether, and reimplement Windows APIs as a compatibility layer on top
of the Linux kernel.

I suspect there are already some within Microsoft who are considering
this.