RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Aug 5 15:52:17 UTC 2022

On Friday, 5 August 2022 00:35:54 PDT Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> As you probably know, HANDLEs are not FD. And Windows has the 2 types, and
> functions to map to/from the 2 (_get_osfhandle/_open_osfhandle).

There's no way to transport file descriptors as numbers anyway because they're
local to each application. And on Windows, it's entirely controlled by the
runtime (userspace), which is why those two functions exist.

That means the wire format is irrelevant. I suggest keeping 'h' because
there's no difference. The fact that on Windows they're marshalled as actual
handles and on Linux they're out-of-band is an implementation detail.