RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 11:49:02 UTC 2022

On Monday, 22 August 2022 02:42:30 -03 Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> If you think there are deficiencies in Cygwin, why not submit patches
> to fix them? That’s the beauty of Open Source.

The deficiency is cygwin1.dll's existence itself. If you remove it, you get
MinGW, which already exists, and comes with a small but sufficient compatibility
layer for the most egregious shortcomings of 1996's msvcrt (a C99 printf, a
pthreads library). They're also working on using the Universal CRT, available
since Windows 10. My point is: I don't think we *need* Cygwin at all, because:

> Because it’s either that or put your trust in Microsoft’s haphazard
> efforts to make Windows more like Linux.

I don't think making Windows more like Linux is a good objective in the first
place. I think Windows is Windows and must be treated as Windows, with its
limitations and differences to other Unix intact. It increases the porting
effort, I agree, but it should make the resulting product nicer and more
rounded once done.

And, to be clear: this is my opinion.