RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 11:51:34 UTC 2022

On Monday, 22 August 2022 07:48:29 -03 Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> I don’t know why you even need D-Bus on Windows. Microsoft was at the
> forefront of much more elaborate high-level IPC efforts, dating back to
> COM/DCOM, OLE and even CORBA from the 1990s. D-Bus is a much more
> limited concept, considered to be just about sufficient for Free Desktop
> efforts, and not much more than that.
>
> In other words, don’t you already have much more powerful capabilities,
> supported by the platform vendor itself?

I happen to disagree. D-Bus was ported to Windows to support the applications
that were designed to work with user- or session-level services that had been
originally designed for FOSS desktops, like the Akonadi-based collaboration
suite.

So I do support the effort of making D-Bus on Windows work and to add file-
descriptor passing to it. But I also think such effort must aim at doing the
simplest set of changes required to ease the porting effort in the D-Bus
library, the frameworks that bind to it, and the applications that use them,
if the objective is to retain as much compatibility as possible.