RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 00:38:03 UTC 2022

On Monday, 22 August 2022 19:39:21 -03 Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 08:49:02 -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I don't think making Windows more like Linux is a good objective in
> > the first place. I think Windows is Windows and must be treated as
> > Windows, with its limitations and differences to other Unix intact.
> > It increases the porting effort, I agree, but it should make the
> > resulting product nicer and more rounded once done.
>
> So why not use high-level IPC APIs that are already Windows native, if
> you want a “nicer and more rounded” product? So why bother trying to
> add some oddball mutation of D-Bus, with its POSIX-centricity, to the
> mix?

Because there's nothing in D-Bus that is inherent Unix-only for the session
bus. In fact, it can be built on top of any number of those IPC and just
provide a marshalling and demarshalling mechanism.

What I don't think is a good use of developer time is to is adding hacks to
make fork() possible, for example. It's never going to be fast and it's going
to have weird problems. Better to know that one should use CreateProcessW.
Ditto for trying to make it pretend that the OS has Unix sockets when it
doesn't, or /dev nodes or useful signals.