Detect new available names in bus

Sergio Costas rastersoft at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:35:41 UTC 2022

El 15/2/22 a las 10:44, Ralf Habacker escribió:
> Am 15.02.22 um 01:05 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
>> On Monday, 14 February 2022 16:01:39 PST Sergio Costas wrote:
>>> Anyway, if I write a patch for the daemon that implements checking
>>> $XDG_DATA_DIRS/dbus-1/ folders and notify new/removed services, do you
>>> think that there is a possibility of it being accepted, or it would
>>> be a
>>> "definitely NO"? (just to avoid doing it if it will be rejected for
>>> sure).
>>
>> It's not a simple patch because you're modifying the
>> org.freedesktop.DBus
>> interface. That requires an update to the D-Bus specification, I think.
>>

> If dbus is build with inotify support on Linux, it will watch
> directories specified as service directory (see
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/bus/dir-watch-inotify.c).
>
> If files are changed, a SIGHUP signal is send to the dbus server
> process
> (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/bus/dir-watch-inotify.c:74),
> which reloads configuration files (see
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/doc/dbus-daemon.1.xml.in#L73)

Which confirms that the dbus daemon is already monitoring those folders
(both with inotify for linux and kqueue for BSD), so adding that dbus
signal sould be quite straightforward...

So... How much complex is to submit a proposal for modifying the
specification...?

--
Nos leemos
		         RASTER    (Linux user #228804)