Detect new available names in bus

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Thu Feb 17 04:52:50 UTC 2022

On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 14:13:32 +0100, Sergio Costas wrote:

> About NameOwnerChanged, it only notifies when a daemon actually
> acquires a name, but that requires it to be launched. This means that
> an activatable service won't emit that unless any of their methods is
> called, thus loading the daemon. Again, that's not what I need. What
> I need is to detect when the .service file is added or removed.

Is there any reason why bus peers need to be aware of the difference
between an “activatable” service and one which is already running?

It seems to me a lot of this complexity would go away if the D-Bus
daemon preregistered the names for such services on the bus. What would
the cost be? Only in a few dozen or a few hundred bytes of memory in its
name tables.