Detect new available names in bus

Sergio Costas rastersoft at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 11:52:17 UTC 2022

El 17/2/22 a las 5:52, Lawrence D'Oliveiro escribió:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 14:13:32 +0100, Sergio Costas wrote:
>
>> About NameOwnerChanged, it only notifies when a daemon actually
>> acquires a name, but that requires it to be launched. This means that
>> an activatable service won't emit that unless any of their methods is
>> called, thus loading the daemon. Again, that's not what I need. What
>> I need is to detect when the .service file is added or removed.
> Is there any reason why bus peers need to be aware of the difference
> between an “activatable” service and one which is already running?

Well, at least for some proxy classes I suspect that it is important to
know if a service is running or not. At least one proxy (the GLib one)
does cache the property values and simplifies connecting signals to a
DBus object. If the remote server is killed but remains activatable, the
proxy needs to know it to invalidate the cache; and when it is launched
again, it needs to know it to reconnect the signals.