DeviceKit-power future plans

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Aug 15 14:23:24 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:41, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 11:58 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

>>  - What's up with the libdevkit-power? Is this a C wrapper for the D-Bus
>>    service? I think we want to export this... just use proper and nice
>>    D-Bus bindings instead.
>
> Well, it's mainly because dbus-glib sucks as a binding. Originally the
> library was static as was just used internally, but I made it shared so
> that I could reuse giant chunks of it in the modified
> gnome-power-manager.

Are you sure that is needed? Why does g-p-m will need a lib to use the
D-Bus interface? If you need that, does the interface export the
things in the right way?

Naively speaking, it sounds like: If you need the code in the daemon,
you can export the mechanics over D-BUS, so that the user does not
need the lib, or you keep the code in the user but not in the daemon.

Care to explain your needs? I'm still convinced, none of the DK
daemons should ever provide any library/access besides the D-Bus
interface to users.

Thanks,
Kay