DeviceKit-power future plans

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Aug 18 10:41:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 19:23 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Ohh, it's not needed, it's just a convenience wrapper to make working
> > with a set of dbus objects a bit nicer. It might make more sense to just
> > copy the couple of files from project to project, although it does make
> > keeping them in sync a pain.
>
> Yeah, would be cool if you can copy it. The stuff in there should
> really not be exported that way by the service itself.
>
> It would also be nice, to rename that thing in the source tree. There
> should be nothing close to a "libdevkit-power" that is provided by the
> service implementation. It would become the de-facto API to the service,
> which we want to avoid. Such a lib, over time, would get functionality
> and fixes, instead of changes/fixes to the D-Bus interface/service
> itself where they belong.

Yes. Richard, can we make that library private please?

Also, if we ever wanted this (but I think we don't) to be a public
library, all data structures really needs to be opaque. E.g. things like

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=DeviceKit/DeviceKit-power.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=libdevkit-power/dkp-object.h#l29

is unacceptable for modern libraries (instead you'd provide GObject
properties and C getters).

     David