DeviceKit-power future plans

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:14:50 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 11:58 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 08:29 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > * add the suspend and hibernate hooks in properly (just supporting
> > pm-utils) -- quirks still to do.
>
> I don't see why DeviceKit-power should be involved with dealing with
> quirks - I think we should just punt the quirks to the pm-utils project,
> e.g. make sure that project delivers the right quirks if the system
> needs it (and I think pm-utils should just use udev rules but that's up
> to the pm-utils maintainers).

Hi, pm-utils maintainer here:

Giving pm-utils the infrastructure discover the appropriate quirks for
any given system without relying on an external program passing them in
or having an easy-to-query database would involve a rather drastic
expansion of what pm-utils is responsible for.  It is doable, but doing
it at the pm-utils level would be ugly and I have no interest in
creating and maintaining yet another quirk database to be maintained
along with HAL and s2ram's database.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional