udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 06:17:05 PDT 2009

I've reverted the D-Bus system service change, as Till pointed out a
race condition with doing it that way.  Instead we'll do it by forking
the process, as before.

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 16:05 +0300, Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> Aug  5 15:42:44 ozan2009-pardus /lib/udev/hpljP1005: foo2zjs: loading HP
> LaserJet P1005 firmware /lib/firmware/sihpP1005.dl to /dev/usb/lp0 ...
> Aug  5 15:42:44 ozan2009-pardus /lib/udev/hpljP1005: foo2zjs: ...
> download successful.
> Aug  5 15:42:50 ozan2009-pardus python: io/hpmud/musb.c 136: unable
> get_string_descriptor -110: Connection timed out

Presumably this is a conflict between the CUPS 'hp' backend (from
HPLIP), trying to fetch the Device ID using libusb, and the foo2zjs
firmware upload.

I think it might be avoided in the next HPLIP release, which avoids
needing device access during device discovery while still reporting
accurate IEEE 1284 Device IDs.

> So is the current 1.1.x branch feature complete for a complete
> replacement of hal-cups-utils?

I think it is, today, having reverted the D-Bus system service part.  I
hope to make a 1.1.11 release soon.

> What other components should I update to replace hal-cups-utils with the
> udev one. AFAIK:
>
> - Bump system-config-printer, configure it with --with-udev-rules,
> - Obsolete hal-cups-utils,
> - Tweak cups init script to retry the configuration.
>
> I once saw a device-id patch in HPLIP, is that an independent bugfix for
> a stable device-id detection or was it needed for the udev-ish replacement?

That is also required for correct operation with the new automatic print
queue solution.  I believe HPLIP 3.9.8 will behave correctly without
needing to be patched.

Tim.
*/