Requesting DeviceKit information via Dbus (NDesk in Mono) results in error first time

Danny Haak danny.haak at nedap.com
Mon Aug 17 03:00:42 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am currently writing a piece of software that needs to know which USB
devices are attached to the computer. For that, I am using Mono,
DeviceKit, NDesk Dbus and Ben Gamari's DeviceKit-Sharp managed bindings.

But, when running my application for the first time, I get the error
'DBus error: Message body length mismatch: 15920 of expected 25362'.
When running the application again, it runs fine. Investigating further,
I discovered that when devkit is executed first in the terminal,
followed by running my program, there is no problem as well. Therefore,
I guess that when querying devkit-daemon via DBus something goes wrong
with starting the daemon.

I am using version 3 (the one in Ubuntu Jaunty). Is this a known
problem, is there a workaround?

Thanks, best regards,
Danny Haak

--