pm-suspend-hybrid support in DeviceKit-power and g-p-m

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 04:32:38 PST 2009

2009/12/2 Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>:
> What needs to be done to teach devicekit-power and gnome-power-manager
> about hybrid suspend?  I am going to have a hybrid suspend mode as an
> option in pm-utils that does not rely on userspace suspend or tuxonice,
> but I am not offered hybrid suspend as an option in the GUI.

Right, you have to bear in mind the options g-p-m gives are the ones
users understand.

To a user:

suspend = quick, but bad if my battery runs out
hibernate = sloooow, but good if my battery runs out

So, to a user, a hybrid suspend is a lot like a "hibernate", except it
comes back faster if the battery doesn't run out.

So in that sense, I would think mapping the DeviceKit-power
Hibernate() method [and thus g-p-m] to hybrid suspend on systems that
support it to be a very good idea.

Of course, that assumes hybrid suspend works as well as hibernate,
which may be true or false.

Richard.