signalling suspend/resume events (deviceKit-power)

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 06:32:52 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 15:12 +0100, Dario Freddi wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 14:55:42 Anders Lund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to request a DBus signal notifying interrested parties about
> > system suspend/hibernate/resume events.
>
> I second his request (I'm the maintainer of the power management KDE daemon).
> Just clarifying, we're interested in having signals both upon suspension AND
> wakeups.

Do you want to be able to halt or interrupt the state transition?

> Moreover, it would be nice (given also the discussions about suspend-hybrid in
> the list) to have somehow a notification of the fact that the PC is getting
> from the suspend to RAM to suspend to disk state. I'm just future-proofing
> here, though :)

Right now that will be rather tricky to arrange in general --
suspend-hybrid does different things depending on the lowlevel tools you
are using.

Userspace swsusp and tuxonice both create a hibernate image and then
enter S3 instead of powering off, so the way they "transition" from
suspend to hibernate is by running out of battery.

Arranging to signal what sleep state the system is waking up from is
easier to from a pm-utils standpoint -- will that do?