DBus method naming of upower/udisks

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 10 23:09:17 PST 2009

randyf at sibernet.com [2009-12-10 20:49 -0800]:
>    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it doesn't surprise me that this
> is considered OS neutral.  However, the fact that "U" sits prominantly in
> the name implies that it is derived from 'udev': a Linux-only facility.

No, it means "Unix". Or "Useless", "User", "Unlimited", "Userspace",
"Übercool", or whichever mood you are currently in.

Seriously, the name shouldn't imply at all that it works with udev
only. That's only an implementation detail on Linux, one could even
write a hal-based implementation for BSD. Admittedly it was chosen
with having "u"dev in mind, but it's deliberately not called
"udev-disks", and the "u" doesn't really mean anything---it's pretty
much like "K"DE.

Martin