DBus method naming of upower/udisks

randyf at sibernet.com randyf at sibernet.com
Thu Dec 10 23:31:39 PST 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, randyf at sibernet.com wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Martin Pitt wrote:
>
>> randyf at sibernet.com [2009-12-10 20:49 -0800]:
>>>    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it doesn't surprise me that this
>>> is considered OS neutral.  However, the fact that "U" sits prominantly in
>>> the name implies that it is derived from 'udev': a Linux-only facility.
>>
>> No, it means "Unix". Or "Useless", "User", "Unlimited", "Userspace",
>> "Übercool", or whichever mood you are currently in.
>>
>> Seriously, the name shouldn't imply at all that it works with udev
>> only. That's only an implementation detail on Linux, one could even
>> write a hal-based implementation for BSD. Admittedly it was chosen
>> with having "u"dev in mind, but it's deliberately not called
>> "udev-disks", and the "u" doesn't really mean anything---it's pretty
>> much like "K"DE.
>
>  If the "U" is useuless, then remove it.  As we are describing disks,
> devices, or power, then take the "U" out, and describe the service, which is
> POWER, DEVICES, or DISKS.  Adding the "U/u" is extraneous, remove it.
> Otherwise, *you* are stating that it has relevant syntax.
>
> rft

   Seriously, the issue is not if a "U" is in the name, but what is the
service that is needed.  If a service is 'upower', then add the 'U'.  But
as someone who is familiar with the English language, "U" doesn't proceed
many english words that fit (it does others, but as I am also sort-of
Deutsche literate, I don't see many relevance there either).  So the
question is still:  What is the service that is intended, not the provider
or the OS-specific facility that is intended?

rf