More than one user on system (like multiseat) and for who are usb disk mounted.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Mon Dec 14 13:36:26 PST 2009

Hello,

I've been trying to get the following issue earlier, like here:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-October/000457.html

HAL (and maybe udiks, I do not know, I haven't tried it yet) mounts
devices at /media, with the user using the
computer as the owner of everything of the device. Now this not a
problem when there is only one user, but when
there are more users, like multiseat, there is a problem. HAL(and
udisks?)  can mount the device only once, with one set of options.

How does HAL cope with this. The first user who reacts on the signal
from her/.his desktop a device is plugged in, makes it mounted,
and he/she "owns" the device??

To be clear, I think the sollution is to leave the mounting by HAL, and
let the automounter do the mounting. When a session starts (a user logs in)
a autofs managed directory is added to an already running automounter.
This map and the related mountpoint are for the just logged in user only.
So now it's possible to have a device plugged in, and mounted on several
places at the same time, for several users, each mountpoint with
different options, like the owner. I do not know about more options.

I can tell you about the sollution I'm working on: a FUSE module
fuse-workspace. It mirrors another directory, where you're able to make
a symbolic
link look like a directory. This makes is possible to make a directory
in your homedirectory, like Devices, contain all the devices you have
access to.
It looks like they are mounted there, where in fact they are mounted by
the automounter (somewhere in /mnt, to be exact:
/mnt/mount.md5key/$USER/mount)

This construction makes it possible to have every user their own
mountpoints, for every device she/he has access to.

For more information:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=FileSystems#fuse-workspace

about FUSE module

http://linux.bononline.nl/linux/fuse-workspace/index.php

about automounter per user with md5 keys

http://linux.bononline.nl/linux/mount.md5key/index.php

starting a program when a session starts using ConsoleKit

http://linux.bononline.nl/linux/runsessionscripts/index.php

Please what do you think??

Stef