Can we safely remove those fdi files in hal-info?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 14 23:39:29 PST 2009

Hello Peter,

Zhu, Peter J [2009-12-14 20:16 +0800]:
> Can we safely remove
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-card-readers.fdi,
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/10-ide-drives.fdi and
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-broken-usb-sticks.fdi from
> a system with DeviceKit-disks/udisk?

The decisive factor is not if you
have DK-disks installed, but if you have hal installed. If you have a
system without hal, then you won't need the entire hal-info (and thus
those fdi files) either. The exception is pm-utils prior to 1.3, which
can read the suspend quirks straight from fdi files without going
through hal.

Martin