changing the enum type

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Feb 27 08:03:44 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 15:25 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Right, but using EggDBus the enums would be uint types,

They indeed would be uint32.

> not strings, so
> surely changing to uint now would allow us to convert to EggDBus without
> changing the interface description?

[...]

> Ohh, I agree it's cool shit, but me and the XFCE guys have to work
> together and get something done this week. Surely changing the enum type
> sooner rather than later is a good thing?

We'd probably want to change something else but that's fine, we've never
promised DeviceKit-power was ABI stable (btw, time you do a release
please explicitly state it in the NEWS file).

Exactly for reasons like the EggDBus one and also things like this enum
one. So if you want to change it, just go for it I think.

(But since g-p-m now depends on DeviceKit-power, do you think it's a
good idea to break ABI? I mean, you'd need to through the motions of
revving the external dep version for GNOME 2.26 with the GNOME release
team and all.)

     David