DeviceKit-power and backlight brightness

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Thu Jul 2 04:50:38 PDT 2009

Richard Hughes wrote:
> As we all know, the hal-ectimisation continues. At the moment,
> gnome-power-manager still uses HAL for two things:
>
> * Ambient light sensors
> * Setting the backlight on hardware without xrandr BRIGHTNESS support,
> or where xrandr falls over
>
> Now, I've held off adding support for backlight devices to
> DeviceKit-power in the past, as I always believed that xrandr was the
> way to go long term. Unfortunately, I think only the Intel Xorg driver
> has support for this interface, and it seems to work only for select
> drm versions (and depending on the phase of the moon). Therefore, I
> think we need to support kernel backlight devices as these still
> account for the majority of laptops, and nearly all embedded hardware.
>
> And then there are ambient light sensors. HAL supports a few different
> types, but that would be pretty easy to copy the code and move it
> somewhere else.

Great to hear that, that's the only one issue which prevents me from
completely remove
HAL dependency in Xfce power manager, i'm will be happy to drop HAL if
devkit-power
supports brightness control like HAL does to avoid any regression that,
i'm sure, users
will complain a lot about.

My opinion on these questions.
> So, some questions:
>
> * Do we still need to support backlight devices, even in a XBACKLIGHT world?

No.

> * Does the brightness functionality belong in DeviceKit-power or
> something else (DeviceKit-backlight?)

Brightness functionality should be in DeviceKit-power, as for the lid
device, only power managers
are looking for these informations, and i don't think there is point to
have DeviceKit-backlight.

> * Do we want to move the ambient light sensor stuff at the same time?

No.

> * Do we support hardware with more than one backlight device
> (shouldn't, but could happen)

I'm not sure about this, but i would say no for the moment.

> Advice required. Thanks.
>
> Richard.

Thanks,
Ali.

Send unlimited messages for free to all destinations with DBus.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus