Mapping form factor

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 2 08:17:36 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 17:08 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Or maybe it turns out that we don't want something like this at all - I
> > mean, you can't really trust DMI data in the first place so it's rather
> > optimistic what Richard is trying to do. E.g. we don't want to give out
> > potentially wrong data.
>
> Yeah, maybe it dies for good with HAL, and we should not pretend to
> know anything like this. Sounds like the best road to take from where
> we are now.

I think so, yeah. Laptop and workstation vendors should just configure
the defaults for things like g-p-m using a layer in GConf between the OS
factory defaults and the user settings.

OS installers should do the same by asking the user what kind of system
it is and then defaulting to a guessed role/formfactor form things like
DMI data or whatever.

That way, it's also a lot easier for people to figure out what's
actually is going on.... never underestimate simplicity and the ability
to debug a system.

    David