Mapping form factor

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 08:36:23 PDT 2009

2009/7/2 Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org>:
> Exactly, there is absolutely no way to tell what is a "server". Maybe
> the "laptop" classification kind of works (can use better indications
> for this), but there is no such thing as a "server" and "desktop" you
> can ever retrieve reliably from dmi data.

So DMI data is worthless? It seems to identify my Dell Mini 10 as
"Portable" and my T61 as "Notebook" just fine. I can sure make power
management decisions based on whether the system is a server or a
portable laptop.

Another thing, is we're exporting this as a property in
DeviceKit-power, then the dmi data can be one source of information, a
seed if you like. Other metrics could be if the system has more than 4
disks it can be a server, but you get the idea. Not using the
information because "it might be wrong" doesn't seem very sensible to
me.

Richard.