Mapping form factor

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 09:08:39 PDT 2009

2009/7/2 David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> Richard, I know you are just trying to push the envelope here and make
> things work out of the box - however, your assumption that a "form
> factor" value is available and trustworthy is just fundamentally flawed.

Okay, no worries, I'll agree that trying to be clever with policy
probably is a bad plan. My problem that I'm trying to solve now is the
preferences dialog in gnome-power-manager. We only show the lid
actions combobox (suspend by default, but blank is also an option) if
the system is classified as a laptop (i.e. a machine with a closable
lid).

So, I do need another property regardless to inform the prefs ui if
the machine has a closable lid or not. We know this as we already
monitor and export a property about the lid state.

Ignoring form factor for a little bit, how about a property
"has-closable-lid" or does this imply "is-laptop"?

Richard.