music player database

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jul 3 09:41:36 PDT 2009

Hey,

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 19:31 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> time for a new update:
>
>   http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/tmp/hal-udev-music-players/
>
> Martin Pitt [2009-06-17 19:08 +0200]:
> > Aside from that, I'll try and beautify the generated .ini files.
>
> They are now called '.mpi' (media player identification), and have
> nicer file names by default. For single-product player fdi
> descriptions they now have the product name instead of the USB product
> ID. For multi-ID FDI records I kept the product ID list in the file
> name for now, since otherwise the name gets too long. However, please
> remember that this is only an issue as long as we actually have to
> keep the .mpi database in sync with hal-info. As soon as we drop
> the music players from hal-info, the .mpi files can of course be named
> whatever we like.

This looks very good - I've been thinking about using this in the GVfs
project so we get nice names/icons for music players in the file
manager / file chooser / panel / etc. My plan is to

 - teach the gdu/gphoto2 volume monitors about recognizing the
   ID_MEDIA_PLAYER attribute

 - if found, then read the .mpi file to get

   - the name to use in the UI
     - should I be using "$Vendor $Model" - seems I should only
       be using "$Model" cf

        Product=Amazon Kindle
        Vendor=Amazon

     - the icon to use
       - I don't see an attribute for that...
       - we default to using the 'multimedia-player' icon name
       - (maybe for the kindle we want to use another icon name)

 - data from .mpi files takes a lower precedence than these sources
   - DKD_PRESENTATION_* udev attributes
   - .xdg-volume-info files (cf. bgo #551403)

 - export a G_VOLUME_IDENTIFIER_MEDIA_PLAYER identifier on the GVolume
   object with the ID_MEDIA_PLAYER value; will show up in 'gvfs-mount
   -li' output and makes it possible for apps to find the GVolume/GMount

Thoughts?

     David