DeviceKit-power and backlight brightness

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Fri Jul 3 10:16:49 PDT 2009

Richard Hughes wrote:

> but instead require people that use
> the code to define I_KNOW_DKP_BACKLIGHT_IS_TEMPORARY

This temporary thing will stay for 5 years at least, i saved this mail,
will send it back.

If this is not going to be implemented in dkp then people will just
stick with HAL
or will write their own service for this, including myself, without this
small brightness applet
on my panel which talk to HAL i can't change my brightness at *all* and
i'm not going
to *wait* for the XBACKLIGHT, also because laptop life in my hands is
two years.

I agree with Richard, bugzilla of power managers will be full of bugs
"my brightness is not working after
upgrade" and since i'm the maintainer of Xfce power manager i want to
avoid this at any price.

I have a suggestion, since backlight class exists in the kernel and it
*works*, then best
to have separate addon service from dkp just for doing these stuff, this
will keep *users* happy,
then dropping this service will be something easy without touching the dkp.

Best Regards,
Ali.

--
Send unlimited messages for free to all destinations with DBus.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus