udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 16 15:31:39 PDT 2009

Of course, all this is to say nothing of setting the permissions on the
device node. :-)

The requirements for this are a bit fiddly:

* if CUPS < 1.4 is to be supported, we need to give group lp read/write
access to the usblp device node

* otherwise, the CUPS usb backend can use libusb so group lp needs
read/write access to the /dev/bus/usb/xxx/yyy node

* additionally, the HPLIP "toolbox" program seems to want direct access
to this node as well, so potentially the console user will get
read/write access as well using an ACL (although how that can work for
fast user switching without hal I'm not entirely sure)

From previous experience, if ACLs are used at all they need to be used
in all rules so that previously-set ACLs don't get overwritten.

Can udev set ACLs easily, or should that be done by the callout program?

Tim.
*/