udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 01:46:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 00:15 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Unfortunately, the device URIs of both the "hp" and "usb" backend are
> massaged, in the "usb" backend it is only that the manufacturer name
> Hewlett-Packard is replaced by HP and Lexmark International by Lexmark,
> in the "hp" backend the serial number is added
>
> This is the device ID reported by the CUPS "usb" backend:
>
> MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP LaserJet 1020;CMD:ACL;CLS:PRINTER;DES:HP
> LaserJet 1020;FWVER:20080222;
>
> This is the one from HPLIP ("hp" backend):
>
> MFG:HP;MDL:HP LaserJet 1020;CLS:PRINTER;DES:HP LaserJet 1020;SN:JL377QZ;

And what is the actual device ID reported by the device?  I bet you'll
find it exactly matches what the usb backend says.  I think you are
getting confused with the CUPS code that generates the device *URI*,
which does replace some vendor strings and remove the manufacturer
prefix from the model name if present.  But the device-id attribute is
what the device gave us, unaltered.

> We must be prepared for broken backends, and this fixes easily many
> broken ones.

I don't accept this.  When there are broken backends they ought to be
fixed.  This is especially true of HPLIP which is supposed to be free
software after all.

Tim.
*/