udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 06:35:45 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 22:11 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> How do you handle the enabling and disabling the Fax queues when the
> printer is connected or disconnected?

I didn't, but I've added that.  The way udev-configure-printer does it
now is to identify the device URIs that match the device, then look for
"paired" device URIs where the URI is the same as one of our matching
ones but the scheme is different.  We then consider that device URI as
associated with the device as well.

> And if you add a fax queue with
> udev-add-printer triggered by the missing print queue, do you make sure
> thatb there was no fax queue yet?

No, thank you for spotting it.  Fixed.

> My suggestion is to also check hpfax: URIS and to match them with the
> device ID of the detected device by searching manufacturer name, model
> name, and serial number in the device URI (not the device ID), like you
> do already with serial numbers.

I don't want to make any assumptions about the structure of a device URI
because (a) there's no standard way of forming them for backends to
adhere to, and (b) any given backend may decide to change the format of
its advertised URIs.

Looking for the USB serial number is a special case, and is done as a
last resort.  Even then, it is done in an entirely generic manner, not
expecting it to appear anywhere particular in the URI, but hoping it
will appear somewhere.  It happens that this is the case for at least
two CUPS backends.

Tim.
*/