udev-ish replacement for hal-cups-utils?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 12:29:48 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 21:10 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> We are arriving at our destination!

It's in sight but we're not there yet.  Next step is to separate out the
CUPS parts into a D-Bus system service. :-)  I'm working on code to do
that so we have these methods:

UsbPrinterAdd (string devpath, string deviceid)
UsbPrinterRemove (string devpath)

where devpath is the usb_device devpath.

Then the udev rules simply call these methods, which immediately return
and perform processing in the background -- with locking, as before, of
course.

In the future this service could be used to add queues (including
selecting an appropriate driver) for bluetooth printers, network
printers, you name it.

> Only one small bug which you have
> introduced when moving the duplicate devpath check to the beginning.
> Patch attached.

Oops, thanks.  Applied.

Tim.
*/