dm-raid support

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 30 06:54:59 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 09:45 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Anyway, to support the whole range of multi-disk solutions on Linux we'd
> need to support
>
>  - md-raid (95% done, only the "create RAID array is missing, see
>    http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-create-raid-1.png and
>    http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-create-raid-2.png for
>    some work in progress)
>
>  - LVM2 (not done, am planning to work on it soon)
>
>  - btrfs (not done, am planning to work on it soon)
>
>  - dm-raid (not done, no plans to work on it yet)
>
>  - multipath (not done, no plans to work on it yet)

Oh, I forgot to address all the hardware RAID stuff as well. It should
be possible to add support to DeviceKit-disks for most of these too;
I've got a LSI SAS card here that does hardware RAID and exposes most
(if not all) operations through the /dev/mptctl node. And you can still
get to the raw LUN through /dev/sgN or /dev/bsg/* so we should be able
to do SMART stuff as well. It all just involves writing the code...

     David