hal -> udev migration for libgphoto2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jun 4 08:21:47 PDT 2009

Hey,

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 16:14 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I wrote a first patch against libgphoto2 to add a new "udev 136" mode
> to print-camera-list. Patch and details on
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2801117&group_id=8874&atid=308874

This looks good. But how about setting ID_GPHOTO2=1 instead of hoping
that we'll always set GPHOTO2_DRIVER? Not important I guess, just think
it's nicer that way...

> # mark for automatic ACL management
> ENV{GPHOTO2_DRIVER}=="?*", ENV{ACL_MANAGE}="1"

This probably shouldn't be in gphoto2 but in udev-extras instead
(separate policy from mechanism and allows us to change how ACLs are
handled in the future). Kay, what do you think?

> Questions, comments? David, do you see anything missing for a gvfs gphoto
> conversion to libudev?

Nope, this looks good if we do ID_GPHOTO2 and nuke where ACL_MANAGE is
set. For implementation: we want GVfs to try using libgudev-1.0 first,
if that's not available fall back to using HAL (to avoid breaking
old/current Linux and FreeBSD and Solaris).

    David