Blackberry device permissions

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jun 29 14:56:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:09:54AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Actually the way it's going to work in future distros (next Fedora, Suse
> and Ubuntu releases at least) is that ACL handling is moved to udev - it
> should make it a lot easier to configure. See the udev sources for
> details on how to set this up.
>
> For Fedora 11 (and most other distros as well) the HAL way of setting
> ACLs work too, see the fprintd package (rpm -ql fprintd) as an example
> of how to set this up.

Thanks for the pointers to examples, David.  Much appreciated.

For now, I'm just focusing on Fedora 11, so I'll have to tackle udev
ACLs later.

I looked at fprintd on Fedora 11, and I don't see how I can use that to
set the permissions on a USB device like /dev/bus/usb/001/011.  Somehow
I'm not seeing the link between the policy file and the actual permission
change.

This used to happen automagically just by installing ConsoleKit, but this
doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Thanks,
- Chris