changing the enum type

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 07:49:25 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 11:03 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 15:25 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Right, but using EggDBus the enums would be uint types,
> We'd probably want to change something else but that's fine, we've never
> promised DeviceKit-power was ABI stable (btw, time you do a release
> please explicitly state it in the NEWS file).

Right, but it is API stable. I'm using it in gnome-power-manager and
it's going to be used in the xfce power manager too. I've also started
porting other applications to use the interfaces rather than HAL.

> Exactly for reasons like the EggDBus one and also things like this enum
> one. So if you want to change it, just go for it I think.
> (But since g-p-m now depends on DeviceKit-power, do you think it's a
> good idea to break ABI? I mean, you'd need to through the motions of
> revving the external dep version for GNOME 2.26 with the GNOME release
> team and all.)

Yes, which is why I'm not exactly enamoured with the 001 style of
version numbers. Using the old major.minor.release version numbers I
could branch the tree and maintain an old and new branch. Using the 00x
numbering always means we can't break ABI or API, which for a new
project is typically a death blow. In my opinion of course.

Richard.