Replacement for hal-setup-keymap

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 5 04:21:52 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I got quite the hang of adding model specific keymaps to hal-info
these days, and I wondered what the replacement of hal-setup-keymap
will be in the new udev/DK world?

I didn't find any existing discussion about this. Is someone already
working on this? If not, I'd be quite interested in helping out with
this.

I expect that the most conformant way forward would be to have udev
rules which trigger on addition of an input device, do the matching on
system vendor/product [1], and run a setkeycodes-like callout with the
key map as arguments. In conjunction to that, there should be an XSLT
which transforms our current hal-info keymap FDIs into those udev
rules. Unless nobody else is working on this, I'm happy to take this
on.

Thank you in advance for any insight,

Martin

[1] this is currently a bit tricky with udev, since you cannot easily
refer to a property like "system vendor". I'm discussing various
possibilities with Scott James Remnant, our udev maintainer; we'll
find a solution.