path for keymap files [was: Re: Replacement for hal-setup-keymap]

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu May 7 04:15:33 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 13:00, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Kay Sievers [2009-05-07 12:29 +0200]:
>> > Done. I put the keymaps themselves into /lib/udev/keymaps/ for now
>> > (instead of /usr/share/udev/keymaps/, as in my first sketch).
>>
>> Ah, i see. What's the reason for that? Not that I have objections to
>> do that.
>
> The keyboard should usually be detected very early, and if /usr is not
> available yet, the maps would be missing. Also, I didn't see other
> references to /usr from udev rules so far (did I miss them?)

The usb and pci vendor/product string lookup programs usually need
/usr. We run coldplug after the rootfs is mounted, so that usually
works, if /usr is not on a different filesystem and mounted later. The
sound card setup tools are in /usr too, usually.

> If you prefer to keep them in /usr/share/udev/keymaps, I can change
> that easily.

I have no preference. We can keep it there for now I think. If /usr
will be better for some reason, we can just move it. It's always
easier to move stuff into a public dir than to move public stuff to a
private udev dir. :)

>> http://www.kernel.org/faq/#account
>
> Thanks, account request sent.

And replied.

>> You can just use the main udev-extras repo to maintain your stuff
>> there. It is shared. Just post questionable stuff, or changes to the
>> build system, or introduced dependencies to the mailing list, but
>> commit your stuff right away.
>
> Alright, will do.

Sounds good.

Thanks,