Migrating from HAL

Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Fri May 15 13:44:03 PDT 2009

One of my projects is conexus-gtkmm and is one of the listed Fedora
dependencies.

I'd like to migrate away from HAL, but I'm a bit unclear how to do it. In
short, the UI widgets are using HAL for serial and network device
enumeration.

I've mostly figured out how to replace the functionality with sysfs, at
least as far as browsing is concerned. The piece that seems to be missing
is the new/removed device notifications.

In essence, what I'm looking for is a way to enumerate the aforementioned
device types and get notifications when devices are added/removed, and
preferably within one library.

Any suggestions?