Migrating from HAL

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri May 15 14:13:27 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 22:44, Rick L. Vinyard, Jr.
<rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
> One of my projects is conexus-gtkmm and is one of the listed Fedora
> dependencies.
>
> I'd like to migrate away from HAL, but I'm a bit unclear how to do it. In
> short, the UI widgets are using HAL for serial and network device
> enumeration.
>
> I've mostly figured out how to replace the functionality with sysfs, at
> least as far as browsing is concerned. The piece that seems to be missing
> is the new/removed device notifications.
>
> In essence, what I'm looking for is a way to enumerate the aforementioned
> device types and get notifications when devices are added/removed, and
> preferably within one library.

This is likely close the what you are looking for:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/13925

Just skip the udev rules, drop the property-match on specific values,
and look at the device right away.

Let me know, if you need anything else.

Kay