DeviceKit-power release next Monday

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 01:36:31 PDT 2009

2009/10/6 Davide Bettio <davide.bettio at kdemail.net>:
>> Eg. libdevkit-power-gobject 010 and DeviceKit-power 011 will not work
>> together (in case someone does a partial package upgrade).
>
> You must use the same version for both.

Yes, I think it's pretty insane packaging policy if you're shipping
half of one package as a external shared library and the other half as
a separate package of the daemon with different versions. Fedora build
DeviceKit-power.src into DeviceKit-power, DeviceKit-power-devel and
DeviceKit-power-libs, but the versions all have to match as they
depend on each other.

>> (I'm not sure how you do the package split in Fedora, but for
>> Debian/Ubuntu where we have separate packages for DK-power and
>> libdevkit-power-gobject this will be a PITA)

No, you just make libdevkit-power-gobject version %foo depend on
DK-power version %foo.

>> Now that DK-disks and DK-power are more and more widely used, such API
>> changes become and issue.
>
> devkit* api is unstable and it will be unstable for a long time...

Well, we're not changing API just for the sake of change, as we're
aware API and ABI breaks hurt other projects. In this case I
personally weighed up the cost/benefit ratio, and decided it was worth
it for Qt compatibility.

>> How will that be handled in the future? When can we expect a stable (D-
>> Bus) API?
>
> As I know there isn't any plan about API stabilization.

Sure, as above. If it helps, I don't think we'll be making changes of
this sort again any time soon.

Richard.