PartitionLabel property

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Oct 7 09:44:38 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 14:46 +0200, Davide Bettio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > That the old and stupid MSDOS partitions don't support anything useful
> >is no reason not to support partition labels. You might want to read:
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Partition_entries_.28LBA_2.E2.80.9333.29
>
> We can't suppose that the user is using a GUID partition table. Nowadays
> labels are managed by the filesystem. We may add a property which is
> specific to GUID partitions...

Not really. Things like Apple Partition Map also support labels. Other
formats too. You really should think of the Partition* properties as a
small abstraction of partition-specific values for various partition
table formats. Which is a completely sane thing to do just
like /dev/sdaN is another abstraction of various partition table
formats.

It is also not helpful to conflate filesystem labels and partition
labels. Both serve very different purposes. The only thing they have in
common is that they can be use to identify some part of a device.

     David