per-user udev rules subset

gibboris at gmail.com gibboris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 18:54:35 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 07:24:08AM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 11:47 +0200, gibboris at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > ** What I want : **
> > I want the ability for a simple user to set ANY action
> > automatically done according to device events ...
> > with the "state-of-art" way to think the device events.
(I was probably kind of vindicative that day)

> This is a major goal of Upstart: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
Upstart wants to offer device events through dbus
but also (eg, process statut) which is too much for me.
I guess a user may (one day) listen to dbus org.apache.status.ServerOff
rather than while $(pgrep apache).

But in my case I want to stick to device-only events for now.
(I may also wish to use openrc, init-ng, ...)
And as the proper way is to use dbus, not libudev and I don't
have|need a "device stack" (fluxbox).
{I'm looking for DK-disks what ivman was for hal}
(being given it's not the role DK-disks --monitor itself should take (?))

My POV is :
time event : cron (user + system)
     limitation : once a minute
file event : incron (user + system)
     limitation : filesystem permissions
process event : upstart
device event : udev (system) => dbus => DK-disks
       no system,particuliar DK daemon in this case, dbus is here
       but the user still needs the abitility to react to this kind
       of event.
       limitation : (I would like a DK-disks ./configure --disable-polkit option)

- Should I use instances of :
while true; do
      dbus-monitor --stop-after-first-match --address 'service' 'event' && ... ;
done;

- Or a dbus-cron is in the cardboard box ?
- Or a DK-disks --monitor-and-execute-on-event <FILE> ?