Invalid properties names

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Sep 3 16:14:40 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 19:10 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 18:36 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Davide Bettio<davide.bettio at kdemail.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On May 14th, I've sent a mail (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-
> > > devel/2009-May/000179.html) about properties names in devicekit-disks. As of
> > > today, September 3rd, I'm still not able to use it with Qt. Until devicekit-
> > > disks is fixed, KDE can't use it. If you won't fix it, I think I will send you
> > > a patch for that issue.
> > >

> > Out of interest, where in the spec did you see anything about property
> > names ? I didn't find that. It does forbid dashes in interface names,
> > signal names and method names, but property names are just strings as
> > far as  the protocol is concerned.
> > Unless  I'm missing something...
>
> The D-Bus spec does say something like
>
>   Interface, signal, method, and property names are
>   "WindowsStyleCaps", note that the first letter is
>   capitalized, unlike Java.

Btw, this is under the "Naming Conventions" section, see

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#naming-conventions

As the section name indicates says this is just a convention. So,
Davide, may I suggest you file a bug against Qt since it is supposed to
be handling things like this.

Either way, as I said earlier I don't mind changing the property names
even if they are still (technically) valid (albeit unconventional).

    David