No BACKLIGHT for

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Apr 28 03:19:24 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:51:58AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

> It should be reasonable simple to let X provide internally a generic
> sysfs backlight driver which can be wired up from individual drivers
> like radeon.

I am a complete outsider here, but my first reaction would be to say
that backlight is much lower level than X. It is also relevant in
console mode, for framebuffer... More a driver issue than an X issue.

It seems to me that the right reaction is

 Alex Deucher      2010-04-27 15:52:23 PDT

 What do we do on systems with drivers that don't support randr 1.2?  Pretty
 much all systems with a backlight control use the kernel backlight interface.

Then the response seems to refer to DRM which is something I am not
familiar with, but it seems to be something that other components than X
cannot use easily.

Any comment on that?

--
Pat